Re: discussion of record 2

"Clarke, Marilyn" <[log in to unmask]>

Clarke, Marilyn

Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:34:02 +0000

Hi Celine

Many thanks for your response to this.

Marilyn

-----Original Message-----
From: C.J. Carty [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of C.J. Carty
Sent: 24 October 2012 11:28
To: Clarke, Marilyn
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CIG-E-FORUM] discussion of record 2

On Oct 24 2012, Clarke, Marilyn wrote:

>Hello
>
>Great discussion so far - thanks.
>
>Two questions:
>
> We're wondering if the presence of |e will interfere with Authority
> headings.

The issue of $e affecting indexing is a matter for each LMS and OPAC set up. You need to speak to whoever deal with that internally but possibly also with your supplier about it, as each case will be different.

It is certainly technically possible for systems like Voyager, which we use, to display all of the string (including the $e) but not index the $e - so that means the index/alphabetical order will be on the name element only not the name+$e combination.

I am wary of making policy decisions in cataloguing due to the limitations of what particular software we are using at any given point, however if it totally rendered the authority headings unusable or unsearchable, then obviously it would have to be reconsidered.