I hope you are looking forward CIG practical RDA cataloguing e-forum taking place tomorrow and Thursday. Below is some general information on how a CIG e-forum works. The specifics of the practical RDA cataloguing e-forum will be outlined first thing at 10am on Wednesday 24th by the co-moderators.
1. The CIG e-forum discussion takes place using email. When the moderators kick off discussion, you will receive an email message. To
participate, you simply send messages to [log in to unmask] or respond to an email sent to you. The settings are designed so that responses go to the entire list. There is no special software or interface that you have to use.
2. If you're busy and you would like to receive fewer emails, you can change your the settings to digest format. Go to:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/CIG-E-FORUM, log in using the email and password that you received when you signed up for the list. Choose
"Subscriber's Corner" (top left) and go into the settings. Choose the CIG-E-FORUM settings and change "subscription type" to "digest MIME
format". The digest is set to provide one message per 25 messages sent to the list.
3. If you want to participate fully in the CIG e-forum, but want to keep the email messages separate from other email, you can probably set
up a filter in your mail client, which will have CIG e-forum messages directly delivered to a folder of your choice, as opposed to your in-box (just don't forget to check the folder!), or flag the messages to alert you that they are e-forum messages. To help with setting up filters, all
messages have the phrase "[CIG-E-FORUM]" in the subject line.
4. It is worth noting that there is often a slight delay (and occasionally a delay of up to about 10 minutes) before emails get posted to the entire list. The list is unmoderated so this just seems to be a technical delay, so don't panic if your message doesn't appear immediately. It often appears more quickly on the JISCmail website (see link in number 5 below) than it does to your email inbox, if you want to check there to see if your message has been posted.
5. Finally, If you wish to unsubscribe completely, go to http://jiscmail.ac.uk/CIG-E-FORUM and you should see the option
"unsubscribe" under Options across the top. The entire discussion today will be available at the above url as well, if you'd prefer to read it
later. You can always re-subscribe to the list at a later date if a future topic is of interest to you.