Re: The concept of function.

Eduardo Corte-Real <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Sep 2012 12:55:32 +0100

text/plain

Hi Terry, Bitiz, Esra
and Bernhard sorry for the extra "t"

Terry, what a  terrific post. Very well crafted. I tend to agree with
you in everything. Except that I interpreted Esra challenge as a sort of
mapping for the different meanings and uses of the concept of function
and not as looking for a definition. Having this in mind, first I must
relate your purpose with Bitiz's teleology. There are very few examples
in which you don't kill, in the sense that you put an end to something
in order to construct another. Silk bugs, wool  and cork came to my mind
as examples of milder dead. They loose their cocoons, hair and scorch,
not their lives.
But I would like to add "performance" to "purpose" as you have express
in n.2 of your post. A function may be also a repeated task performed.
In that sense I interpreted always "form follows function" as form "must
not stand in the way of proper functioning". This is probably more an
'architetish' problem because you know that a building may, in the
future, not have the same purpose as it had originally.
By the way, I scanned also some of L.B. Alberti works in Latin and
Functio or Functione do not appear. And what Morgan translates as
function is "officia" or "officium" which in a more colloquial manner
could be translated as "the business of architecture", for instance. So
in 1914, function as functionalism put it, was not in Morgan's mind, his
Utilitas is "convinience".
One of the Virtues of the Discipline of History is that you must make a
contact with the original sources.
Hanno-Walter Kruft, for instance, almost disregards Utilitas and
Firmitas and even suggests that gnomonice and machinery were in
Renaissance times wrongly though as being also part of Marco's
architectural thinking, . Kruft, in his chapter about Vituvius, mostly
speaks about what Venustas is. I agree with him. Not only Botticelli and
his Birth of Venus come to my mind but because the Myth of The Birth of
Venus synthesises what I think worthy to study. Briefly after being
'married' to Uranus (the Sky) and Chronos (Time), Gaia (Earth) concealed
Zeus that will kill his father by emasculating him. Zeus symbolizes the
empire of humans in the earth after sky and time. Chronos semen falls
one last time over Gaia and Titans are born (symbolizing uncontrollable
natural forces) and our dear Milanese girl Afrodite, in the ocean near
Cyprus. She is therefore daughter of time and earth, Zeus's complete
sister born in the last moment of the empire of time in earth and in the
first moment of the empire of men on earth, a goddess of desire,
uncontrollable, unexplained. As you all know she is married to Hefestos,
god of industry, but she betrayals him with Mars, (maybe this explains
the fondness of some women for chocolate) and others.
What I'm getting at is that, and making a big jump in my arguments, is
that attraction, beauty is the crucial characteristic of the Function
that matters in Design.
My older daughter has her 20th birthday today, she studies Ceramics
Design, and I'm very proud of her.
Best regards,
Eduardo

Eduardo Côrte-Real