Help for RESEARCH-DATAMAN Archives

RESEARCH-DATAMAN Archives

RESEARCH-DATAMAN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

RESEARCH-DATAMAN Home

RESEARCH-DATAMAN  August 2012

RESEARCH-DATAMAN August 2012

Fwd: advice on publishing and citing data

Matt Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Research Data Management discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:28:56 -0800

Dear Alistair ,

Have you looked into contributing to the DataONE federation of
repositories (http://www.dataone.org/contribute-data), which provides
a mechanism to submit to one repository but have it be compatible with
and potentially replicated to others?  Dryad and the KNB are two of
the founding repositories that seek to interoperate via DataONE.  You
could submit data to the open KNB Repository
(http://knb.ecoinformatics.org), which would then make it citable and
accessible through DataONE.  The KNB provides for open deposition of
biocomplexity data sets, including areas like population genetics,
ecology, biodiversity, and environmental data -- it seems like this is
the right subject area for your data sets. The KNB provides a
replicated data service, ensuring that data are present on at least
two institutionally and geographically separated nodes within the
DataONE repository federation.  The KNB can publish data sets and
assign them DOIs (via the EZID / DataCite service) -- the use of DOIs
is a new service in the KNB, so contact me if you are interested in
that route.  There are several data submission routes possible for
data, including a simple web form that allows you to upload your data
and some simple metadata to the KNB
(http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/knb/cgi-bin/register-dataset.cgi?cfg=knb).
 Let me know if I can be of help.

Regards,