AAHPN  August 2012

AAHPN August 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Score cards for take-up of Nice approvals

"Uwe E. Reinhardt" <[log in to unmask]>

Uwe E. Reinhardt

Fri, 31 Aug 2012 17:55:55 +0000

I agree with Adam.

At heart, economists engaged in normative economics are collectivist mystics who believe to be presiding, likle little benevolent tinhorn dictators,over the human analogue if a cattle farm.

Cattle farms are managed to maximize the weight of salable meat off the herd, even if that means starving some cows and generously feeding others. The human analogue of cattle farms, according to economists, is to be run so as to maximize a mystical something called "social welfare." With appeal to a bastardized version of Benthamite utilitarianism, economists believe that they know how to define, measure and maximize "social welfare" (see the attached). All that is required is a suspension of credulity and a bit of legerdemain.

I am glad to have found in Adam a kindred soul that sees through this professional fraud -- which is really selling a distinct ethical doctrine in the guise of science. Luckily, the malpractice system does not extend to economic "science."

Have a happy Labor Day weekend, you all. If you don't have a Labor Day weekend this weekend, you're un-American, that is, you are not exceptional.

Uwe