PYGYWG  July 2012

PYGYWG July 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: A proposal: Please read and respond (asap)

Mike Kesby <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list on participatory geographies <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:32:44 +0000

text/plain

Hi all,
Both Sara and Peter are right about 'communiversity' ... it was a joint effort but we might have re-invented the term ... and research into the term's history is a great idea. Also, ironically, laying claim to the term entraps us in the citation games of the academy even while we attempt to resist them - but this of course, is the paradox in which we all find ourselves: needing to 'play the game' whilst finding ways to play a different game.
In terms of the pseudonym... I have argued long and hard with one of my colleagues here about whether it is merely a pretentious ruse; his suggestion being that if we were really serious we would have been "anonymous". But Rachel, Sara and I, and latterly Caitlin Cahill, all decided that a feminist politics did not support a voice from nowhere, and that our collective ideas needed to be situated, and responsibility taken for them.
For me the whole exercise was worthwhile when I was called before the Professor in charge of REF returns. He was not pleased, his orderly audit had been disrupted. His look of confusion about the authorship was priceless. I suggested he would need to read the paper if he wanted to understand why we had done it. This was not at all part of his intended mode of assessment.
Building on the IBG 2012 session on "Ludic Geographies" - such playful (yet serious) tactics of resistance and disruption might be part of our strategy too. Let's be prepared to step forward and childishly point out: "the emperor has no clothes...."
Mike