CRISIS-FORUM  July 2012

CRISIS-FORUM July 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Back to plan B: CDR geoengineering by rock crushing and biochar

John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>

John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 8 Jul 2012 23:08:04 +0100

text/plain

Hi Oliver,

I've just been introduced (by David Tattershall) to an organisation
called "Hope or Cope" - where the "hope" is for action to deal with the
crisis, and the "cope" is what you have to do if the crisis is not dealt
with. They are putting together a Plan B, mainly with the hope of
avoiding world economy collapse into a financial black hole.  They
presented this to the Nordic Council in January [1].  But they have seen
our AMEG work on the equally frightening possibility of Arctic sea ice
collapse, with high risk of both runaway methane emissions and Greenland
Ice Sheet disintegration (with an attendant sea level rise).  They might
also be interested in your Kyoto2 work and book, Oliver [2].

Whereas AMEG is concerned to cool the Arctic using measures that include
SRM geoengineering [3], a complete Plan B must include CDR (carbon
dioxide removal).  Some agro practice can help by growing/nurturing
plants (especially grasses) that sequestor carbon in their root systems,
there is a strong case for some combination of biochar and rock
crushing, which you, Geoff, Ron and others were discussing last year,
see email below.

The ultimate goal for CDR has to be to remove CO2 faster than it (or its
'equivalent') is being put into the atmosphere, both: (i) to reduce the
net forcing on the climate system (taking it back close to the
preindustrial level) thereby keeping the planet under 2 degrees warming;
and (ii) to reduce ocean acidification.

I support the idea to get the people who take fossil fuel out of the
ground to pay a levy towards putting the carbon back in the ground.
However "Hope or Cope" have an idea for a special green bank, to support
sequestering and other activities towards long-term sustainability.

Cheers,

John

[1]
http://www.norden.org/en/nordic-council/organisation-and-structure/committees/the-environment-and-natural-resources-committee/events/nordic-leadership-in-global-efforts-for-the-climate-seminar