Re: Depression and Exercise!

Tina Coldham <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Jun 2012 19:41:19 +0100

text/plain

Hi all,
This is such a healthy discussion it's lightening my mood!

My first reaction to reading the news about this research was 'thank goodness'.  This is one less stick to beat us depressives about with.  It can feel that you are prescribed all this healthy living which over time, is reviewed and methods and ways are revised.  Drink, but in moderation.  Wine is good for the heart, alcohol is a depressant, the Mediterranean diet is good for you (wine included presumably), as some one has pointed out, but perhaps not the too fatty elements of that? The average person is rightly confused.

I can feel guilty enough about many aspects of my life when depressed so not feeling guilty about exercise is one less thing to beat myself with.  In light depression I can try to pull myself out of it by any activity, usually keeping up with light work chores - emails and the like.  A sense of purpose and achievement.  I then reward myself with R&R.  Walking out the back of where I live is also a good one.  Takes a bit of energy to get up the hill but the view and connection to nature is the beneficial thing.  So I agree that thing about meaning is very important.  It's a chore and also a reward.

Motivation is very difficult when depressed and for me in severe depression I get psycho-motor retardation so it makes simple activity so much more difficult and then exercise isn't possible or if done, doesn't help.  The recognition that psychiatric drugs also impair ones ability to take exercise is often forgotten and rightly pointed out as a key factor.  So many people are prescribed chronic weight gaining meds, and then have the lecture about eating properly and taking exercise, when they are not helped with positive motivation, fighting a lost cause against the meds, and possibly doing themselves more harm by stressing the body that is Impaired by pharmacology. Feeling guilty about being overweight and needing to spend money to buy bigger clothes also weighs heavy!

I only seem to have so much energy. As obese and inactive I need to rectify that but when trying to keep on top of other things like work and not beating myself up for not doing other things and being kind to myself, I find I only have time and energy for so much anyway, and exercise falls by the wayside.   It can be a vicious circle that many non-depressives find themselves in.

People do need to find what works for them and as part of a wider healthy lifestyle. Im still searching, but not agonising over it!

Tina Coldham
Mental Health User Consultant, Trainer & Researcher
M: 07710 714748
E: [log in to unmask]
WWW: google me!