LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-LINK Home

LIS-LINK  June 2012

LIS-LINK June 2012

Digital Preservation Awards 2012

Preservation Advisory Centre <[log in to unmask]>

Preservation Advisory Centre <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:33:30 +0100

The Digital Preservation Coalition is delighted to announce the launch
of the Digital Preservation Awards 2012.

'Threats to the digital estate are distinctive and new so the tools and
processes necessary to ensure long term access - and impact - are also
new', explained William Kilbride of the DPC. 'The DPC was established in
2002 to help agencies meet this new and growing challenge, and in 2004
we sponsored a small prize to mark outstanding contributions to the
field.  It was so popular that we've offered the prize every other year
since, and each time the quality and number of nominations has grown.

'This year, the award takes a new form. In the past a single award has
been offered as one of the Conservation Awards.  But because 2012 is the
tenth anniversary of the founding of the DPC, we're offering 4 separate
prizes, including a special 'DPC Decennial Prize' for the most
outstanding contribution to digital preservation in the last decade.
There are also prizes for 'Teaching and Communication' and for 'Research
and Development' as well as an innovative Digital Preservation Challenge
being offered via the Open Planets Foundation.'

'We're calling on all our friends and colleagues - the whole digital
preservation community - to help us get the best possible set of
applications.'

'The criteria are defined broadly, encompassing any initiative that has
helped ensure 'our digital memory is available tomorrow', and although
the DPC's membership is in the UK and Ireland, this is an international
competition.  We encourage all manner of proposals - projects, services,
ideas, books, methodologies, standards, working groups and campaigns:
all are welcome.'

The application pack is available online at:
http://www.dpconline.org/advocacy/awards

The current holders are Los Alamos National Laboratory and Old Dominion
University, who won the prize in 2010 for the Memento Project.  Other
previous winners include the UK National Archives and the PREMIS Working
Group.

Applications are due by the 17th August at which point they will be
scrutinised by a judging panel drawn from the DPC membership.  A
shortlist will  be announced in October and DPC members will be invited
to vote for their favourite project. The winner unveiled at a special
ceremony in London on 3rd December.

Dr William Kilbride FSA

Executive Director

Digital Preservation Coalition