LIS-E-RESOURCES  June 2012

LIS-E-RESOURCES June 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Press Release: The Publishers Association releases report detailing the potential effect of making journals free after a six month embargo - corrected link

David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>

An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Jun 2012 15:23:53 +0100

text/plain

Simon

Well, I think we're not going to agree.  Your report said ''We believe our research demonstrates that mandating self-archiving within 6 months or less of publication will undermine the subscription-based peer review journal.'  This may not reflect the subtlety of your full report, but it was a piece of rhetoric which the commissioners of the report were happy to use.

The reality is that there are any number of journals that are thriving despite making their content freely available after 6 months - there were in 2007 and there are today.  You made no effort to understand this when you wrote your report and the new report makes no effort to understand it now.  I stand my my contention that this is a flaw in both reports.  One is always going to be wary of results that don't reflect reality.

David