DIS-FORUM Archives

DIS-FORUM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Monospaced Font

DIS-FORUM Home

DIS-FORUM  June 2012

DIS-FORUM June 2012

Re: accessibility in university libraries for students with disabilites/SpLD

"Simmons, Hilary" <[log in to unmask]>

Simmons, Hilary

Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:06:42 +0000

Hi everyone

We are reviewing the number of rooms we have for students who use wheelchairs, and we are trying to work out what would be a reasonable level of provision. It would be really helpful if you share with me how you have determined what a reasonable level of provision should be.

These days we find that most of our students with wheelchairs have complex needs and do tend to need more space in their rooms, for example for electronic beds. We want to ensure that we have enough large rooms which can then be adapted for individual use.

At Lancaster we have many 'wheelchair' adapted rooms but only 5 which are large enough for students with complex disabilities and these are all in use at the moment. We have 6500 student rooms and just under 12000 full time students.

Hilary

Hilary Simmons
Head of Colleges and Student Life
Lancaster University
Bailrigg
LANCASTER
LA1 4YW
Tel: 00 44 (0)1524 592020

Best University Halls 2010 & 2011 in the National Student Housing Survey