Help for BASEES-MEMBERS Archives

BASEES-MEMBERS Archives

BASEES-MEMBERS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BASEES-MEMBERS Home

BASEES-MEMBERS  June 2012

BASEES-MEMBERS June 2012

Review into Slavonic and East European Studies

Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:27:51 +0200

Dear colleagues,

As you may know, I have been commissioned by BASEES and the HEA to carry put a r
eview into Slavonic and East European Studies in the United Kingdom.  The terms
of reference for the review are pasted in below.  I have already sent out to Hea
ds of Department a questionnaire seeking statistical and other information, but
if in the meantime any member of BASEES would like to make any comment or observ
ation in relation to any of the terms of reference, I would be happy to receive
them.  it would be helpful if any responses could be sent to me by e-mail at Joh
[log in to unmask] by 20 July.

I look forward to hearing from you.

John Dunn.

Terms of reference

1. Include a national audit of provision in Slavonic Studies in UK HE, including
 breakdowns of Russian degree intakes by level of entry: post A-level and ab ini
tio, primarily;

2. Include detailed information on employment destinations of Russian graduates;

3. Consider the importance of Slavonic Studies, and Russian in particular, in te
rms of: defence and diplomacy, business and emerging markets, the European Union
, multilingualism and multiculturalism;

4. Recognising the wide student interest in the history, politics, geography and
 culture of the region, explore the need for appropriate language provision to s
upport PGRs in these areas;

5. Identify and highlight the benefits to the individual of understanding the hi
story and cultures of others;

6. Include perspectives and case studies from 'users' on the importance of these
 disciplines;

7. Consider ways of strengthening successful individual units, whilst also inves
tigating the scope for co-ordinating provision in, for example, a consortium, wi
th the aim of making these and other units more resilient.

8. In particular, the Review will explore the appropriateness of this for both R
ussian and also for the various other disciplines taught as options in Russian D
epartments, such as Czech, Polish and other Slavonic and East European languages
, as well as related social, historical and cultural areas of study;

9. Consider evidence on the sustainability of provision of Slavonic Studies and
recommend steps that could be taken to avoid an undesirable reduction in the sca
le of provision and, where appropriate, to expand it.