Re: burying of carcasses

S Hamilton-Dyer <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 May 2012 01:14:49 +0100

Hi Edouard and all - bits of net curtains (offcuts can be a few pence)
threaded or tied into a bag shape are good, in the old days the foot
ends of stockings and tights were useful for mice etc.  being nylon all
these are good because they don't rot and can be piled up in a compost
bin and covered with a distinctive layer of something (so you can shovel
away until you hit that division and then excavate more carefully!).
They can also be used if simmering/enzyme - you can process several in
the same bucket/boiler/digester. Also useful when retrieved - just shake
the soil/compost off, drop all into a bucket and pour just-boiled water
over, adding 'oxywizz' or similar non-chlorine bleach - very satisfying
froth lifts a lot of rubbish off the bones and lightens without being
totally white (also great if you have left a skelly in a wet bucket
until it has gone pond-black by mistake!).  You can wrap things up to
about roe sized this way - time varies but 6 months to a year in a good
compost bin is ideal.
Sheila

SH-D ArchaeoZoology
http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk