Re: SHIC

"Tudhope D S (AT)" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 May 2012 13:27:53 +0000

text/plain

It's great to see SHIC being discussed again - we developed pilot access systems based on SHIC several years ago, using an extract from the collection of our local social history museum, the Pontypridd Historical and Cultural Centre and had various conversations with Stuart Holms and the SHIC working pary. I remember presenting on the SHIC work at a Museum Documentation Association Workshop on Terminology at Oxford University in September 1996. As I remember, that meeting discussed the differences between SHIC's 'use context perspective' (as Richard mentioned) and the 'object-centred perspective' perhaps more common in museum thesauri.

We published a report of that work in MDA Information 1998 [1] which used to be online but I've failed to find it after a quick search this morning. I haven't even able to locate a hard copy version. However I did manage to locate a slightly later paper published in the ICHIM'95 and still available via Archimuse and Museums and the Web
http://www.archimuse.com/publishing/ichim95_vol1/tudhope.pdf
(bibliographic details athttp://www.museumsandtheweb.com/biblio/taxonomic_distance_classification_and_navigation_doug)
Unfortunateky it's missing the figures that were screen dumps from the system but it discusses how the (SHIC) comceptual system allows the possibility of navigation tools that can assist users unfamiliar with the organisation of the information. I see the paper goes on to discuss the possibility of multiple classifications of information and multiple perspectives and incorporating both folk and 'expert' taxonomies - still relevant topics today!

We went on to work with collections from the Science Museum and National Railway Museum using the Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus (with Alice Grant, Ann Borda and Helen Ashby) - the JoDI 2004 paper is open access and discuses how thesaurus web services can be used to build different user interfaces elements, including the use of query expansion for more flexibly matching user queries. http://journals.tdl.org/jodi/article/view/110/109

If anyone is interested in broader issues surrounding terminology registries (of vocabulary content and services), the final report of the Terminology Registry Scoping Study (2008) funded by JISC http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/programmes/sharedservices/trss-report-final.pdf
made the case for some exploratory funding of a Terminology Rgistry relevant to the UK HE sector but the suggestion was not taken up. The report's immediate specific recommendations are now dated and probably not relevant today but the report does give background on different types of terminology registry. It makes a distinction between ontologies and thesauri as serving different purposes, which is important to bear in mind, as the terms are often used loosely in semantic web circles. It discusses use cases, governance and references JISC reports on Pedagogical Vocabularies and Terminology Services and Technology Review which give more detailed info on eLearning and services issues for those interested.

Doug

[1] Tudhope D., Taylor C. 1998. Terminology as a search aid: Using SHIC for public access. MDA Information, 3(1), 79-84.

Douglas Tudhope
Professor, Faculty of Advanced Technology
University of Glamorgan
Pontypridd CF37 1DL
Wales, UK
Tel +44 (0) 1443-483609
Fax +44 (0) 1443-482715
Editor : The New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia
http://hypermedia.research.glam.ac.uk/publications/#kos