Help for LIS-E-RESOURCES Archives

LIS-E-RESOURCES Archives

LIS-E-RESOURCES@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-E-RESOURCES Home

LIS-E-RESOURCES  May 2012

LIS-E-RESOURCES May 2012

UKSG Course - E-Resources Technical Update, Edinburgh, 21 June 2012

Karen Sadler <[log in to unmask]>

An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 May 2012 15:49:11 +0100

   **   Apologies for cross-posting  **

UKSG E-Resources Technical Update: Edinburgh

Thursday 21 Jun 2012

Course summary

Many of us working directly with e-resources in libraries would like to feel
more confident in our understanding of the related technology.  Managing
e-resources and making them available to end-users is quite different from
dealing with print products, but many of us have moved from one to the
other, picking up expertise informally.  As a result we probably all have
gaps in our knowledge and understanding, and the need to gain a proper
balanced overview of the technical environment is crucial if we are to do
our jobs effectively.

The UKSG E-Resources Technical Update course will give you a good
understanding of the underlying technicalities involved in e-resource set-up
and delivery, including e-journals, online databases and e-books, and will
help you feel more confident in your day-to-day work.

Why you should attend

The course will be invaluable for anyone from a non-technical background
working with e-journals and other e-resources.  The atmosphere of the day
will be friendly and supportive and participants will be encouraged to share
any issues or problems they encounter in their work.

Course level and previous knowledge required

It is recommended that those completely new to dealing with journals should
first attend the UKSG Introduction to Journals and E-Resources Today, a
one-day seminar run in a variety of locations which covers all aspects of
the serials and e-resources industry and features an introductory technical
session.  If you are not completely new to journals no previous knowledge is
required.

Learning objectives

• Learn how to overcome common problems in implementing e-resources
• Have the tools to help you decide the best way of setting up access to
e-resources in your institution/organisation
• Be confident that you understand the technical landscape when dealing with
e-resource providers

Course presenters

The course is presented by Simon Inger and Tracy Gardner from Renew Training
<http://www.renewtraining.com>  who between them have over 40 years'
experience in scholarly publishing.

Feedback from ERTU courses held in 2011

“Was very good in terms of overview, coverage and level of explaining
things."

"The presenters were great – extremely knowledgable and approachable."

"Excellently organised, engaging presentations."

"Good review of e-content provider platforms and good coverage of how
linking works."

“Excellent!  This is the most useful course I have ever attended.”

Course content

The course is continually updated, but core content will include:

Classifying E-Resources
• Identifying the major players involved in e-resource provision
• The differences between gateways, platforms, publisher websites,
aggregators, search engine-based gateways and library gateways.

Reader Behaviour
• Where do users choose to begin their research?
• What are the differences in preferred starting points for researchers and
undergraduates?
• Advances in user navigation.

Managing User Navigation
• Linking through URL and OpenURL, the development and importance of Link
Servers
• The role of library web pages, OPACs, A-Z lists, federated search and web
scale discovery
• Accessing Open Access content.

Managing Authentication
• User authentication methodologies
• IP address ranges, proxies and firewalls
• Athens, federated access and Shibboleth
• OpenID developments

Fee

UKSG members:      £195.00 + £39.00 VAT [20%] (total £234.00)
Non-members:         £245.00 + £49.00 VAT [20%] (total £294.00)

The fee includes refreshments and lunch

Venue

National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh

Venue location details will be sent with confirmation of booking.

How to book

Please book using via our website – www.uksg.org/event/ertu210612   For
further information please contact me as below.

Cancellations

By Wednesday 13 June 2012 - full refund
From Thursday 14 June 2012 - no refund

NB:  UKSG reserves the right to alter or vary the programme due to events or
circumstances beyond its reasonable control without being obliged to refund
monies.

Karen Sadler

Administrator

UKSG

Tel. +44 (0)1865 310834

Fax. +44(0)1865 310834

www.uksg.org

UK Serials Association trading as United Kingdom Serials Group

A company registered in England and limited by guarantee

Company Number: 4145775 Registered Charity Number: 1093946

Registered office: Bowman & Hillier Building,

The Old Brewery, Priory Lane, Burford, Oxon OX18 4SG