FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Monospaced Font

FORCED-MIGRATION Home

FORCED-MIGRATION  May 2012

FORCED-MIGRATION May 2012

Call for papers: Bringing 'Forced' Back into Forced Migration Studies, IASFM14 Panel

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 May 2012 15:15:57 +0000

Dear all,

apologies for cross-posting

Together with Cindy Horst, I am proposing to organise a panel at the IASFM conference in Calcutta in January 2013 titled "Bringing 'forced' back into forced migration studies. Ethics, responsibilities and analytical consequences".

We would invite papers that can talk to this overall theme. A description of the panel follows below.
If you would like to contribute, please email me with a paper abstract of no more than 250 words and a short bio by the **31st of May.**

Description of panel:
The analytical difficulties of separating between forced and voluntary migration is well established knowledge. Most migration flows are composed of a multitude of different categories of migrants. Notions such as ‘mixed migration’ are now increasingly used to capture this complexity. In this context, it may make sense to link our theoretical and practical understanding of forced migrants to other types of migrants (DeWind in Hathaway 2007, Journal of Refugee Studies). However, involuntary, conflict-induced migrants move under particular circumstances and with particular motivations and experiences. By definition they are victims of fundamental human rights abuses and may be exposed to a different set of vulnerabilities and protection needs than other migrants. In this panel we invite papers that place the meaning and continued importance of ‘forced’ in migration studies under scrutiny. Presentations should address theoretical, analytical or ethical dimensions of studying forced migration in the context of the contemporary complexity of migration flows.

By reflecting on theoretical and analytical opportunities and constraints as well as the ethical dimensions and responsibilities in research on forced migration, we aim to create a lively debate on how we should continue to conduct research on the role of conflict-induced migration in the wider and more general context of migration flows.

Panel organisers: Cathrine Brun and Cindy Horst

Deadline for submission of paper abstract: 31st May to: [log in to unmask]

With best wishes,
Cathrine

Dr. Cathrine Brun
Associate Professor
Department of Geography
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by Forced Migration
Online, Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International
Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or
extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/research-resources/discussion/forced-migration-discussion-list-posting-guidelines