Help for STEEPLE Archives

STEEPLE Archives

STEEPLE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

STEEPLE Home

STEEPLE  May 2012

STEEPLE May 2012

Re: What type of server with Echo360 and Panopto?

"J.P. King" <[log in to unmask]>

J.P. King

Fri, 4 May 2012 09:55:28 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

> our echo system has loads (couple of thousand) of recordings on it and
> everything is served using their built in web server and wowza all running on
> the same machine as echo (though media processing is done on other machines)
> and we haven't had any complaints. most content is served via http, but the
> video from the camera is served through wowza. i can't tell you how many
> simultaneous streams we serve as the system doesn't tell us that. storage is
> 2TB on a SAN volume, which is part of campus infrastructure service so we
> don't have to worry about that.

I can't speak for the echo360 offering, but Wowza does have the
information about how many streams are currently being served.  I think it
also has a peak number.  It also has logs which can be parsed after the
fact to get the information.  It can also log to a database (which is
where we are heading with it) so that you can easily manipulate the
information.

If there are people out there other than Cambridge that roll their own
code if we ever sort out a web app which trawls the DB produced by Wowza
and produces pretty graphs I can let people have a copy.

> paul.

Julian
--
Julian King
Computer Officer, University of Cambridge, Unix Support