Re: mni coordinates

Jonathan Peelle <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:31:50 -0400

Dear Marianne,

> The locations of fMRI activation are presented by MNI coordinates which
> I can transform in Talairach coordinates. Is there a program which can
> transform MNI coordinates or Talairach coordinates into Broadmann Areas
> or anatomical locations or do I have to try this by eye?

There are several atlases available which may be able to help with
localization, including some of those already mentioned. One of the
things to look for is atlases which are based on a population average
rather than a single subject, which be more accurate than those based on
a single subject.

Although coordinate-based atlases can be helpful, it is always a good
idea to spend some time with a visual atlas to verify the the regions
you report - the following article is always helpful to consult (and
includes some additional information on atlases):

Devlin JT, Poldrack RA (2007) In praise of tedious anatomy. NeuroImage
37:1033-1041.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Jonathan