Help for LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-LINK Home

LIS-LINK  May 2012

LIS-LINK May 2012

Teaching skills for Librarians - Questionnaire

Natalie Bevan <[log in to unmask]>

Natalie Bevan <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 May 2012 11:35:47 +0100

Dear All,

I am conducting a brief questionnaire to help with an article on the
topic of teaching/training skills for information professionals. The
article is taking a broad view of the current situation in
librarianship, what tasks we are undertaking and what skills we are
using and developing in the context of training and teaching.

I'd like to gain a sense of what others are doing in practice in terms
of delivering training and the purpose of this brief questionnaire is to
gain a snap shot of the current situation and working practices.

I realise there are major differences between the term 'training' and
'teaching' but this article would also like to investigate how far
librarians are taking up more formal 'teaching' skills and styles as
well as training skills.

I would very much appreciate your comments to the following questions.

Questions:

1.	What specific activities are you involved in with regards to
teaching and training information skills? E.g. inductions, workshops,
guides, online tutorials. Please give details.

2.	Please explain what skills are required for these tasks? And how
have you developed these skills to meet demand? E.g. formal
training/qualifications/ 'on-the-job' learning.

3.	How important do you feel developing skills in these areas is
for delivering a service, meeting users information needs, as well as
your own career development?

4.	Please explain the learning styles and techniques you use to
undertake your training sessions or learning activities.

5.	What technologies (if any) do you utilise for teaching and
learning?

6.	Please give your opinion of teaching/training skills in the
profession today, for example, how vital they are to the work of the
service, what trends are you seeing, and how do you see teaching skills
for information professionals developing in the future.

Please send your responses to me directly by 25th May. All responses
will be made anonymous.

If you have any questions or would like to receive a summary of the
results, please feel free to email me directly.

Thank you very much for your time,

Natalie Bevan

Electronic Resources Librarian

Library and Archives