FINDINGFAMILIAR@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FINDINGFAMILIAR Home

FINDINGFAMILIAR  May 2012

FINDINGFAMILIAR May 2012

FW: The English Heritage Archive

Julie Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>

Finding the Familiar <[log in to unmask]>, Julie Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 May 2012 10:28:43 +0100

Morning all,

I hope you are all staying safe in this horrible weather.
This email came to me from the English Heritage Communications Team, which I thought may be of interest to those of you doing research projects.

Best wishes,
Julie

--------------------------------------

English Heritage is the guardian of a remarkable range of data, photographs and other archive items related to the historic environment, previously managed as the National Monuments Record (NMR). One of the most important developments in recent years is the online facilities we have been developing to give you round-the-clock access to them.

To better reflect the services we now offer, the name National Monuments Record (NMR) will no longer be used. From now on, our archive, comprising around 12 million items relating to Englandís historic environment, will be called the English Heritage Archive. This will continue to be housed and curated in Swindon where we have a Public Search Room (open Tuesday Ė Friday, 9.30am Ė 5.00pm).

You can search our online catalogue at www.englishheritagearchives.org.uk<http://www.englishheritagearchives.org.uk/>. This includes photographs dating from the 1850s to the present day, as well as reports, drawings, and plans of English buildings and archaeological sites. You can already view 93,000 images here, free of charge. By 2015 we aim to add 500,000 more.

For aerial photographs and spatial data, please contact the Archive Services team at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

For listing information and local historic environment records, we encourage you to go to the Heritage Gateway at www.heritage-gateway.org.uk<http://www.heritage-gateway.org.uk/>. This is a portal to 49 resources, including over 50% of local English Historic Environment Records, the National Heritage List for England (all nationally designated assets), and 6 other national resources including Images of England.

If you canít find what you need, please donít hesitate to email us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. We will try our best to help.

Anna Eavis
Head of Archive

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of English Heritage unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to English Heritage may become publicly available.

Portico: your gateway to information on sites in the National Heritage Collection; have a look and tell us what you think. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/archives-and-collections/portico/

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or organisation to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by return of e-mail or by ringing the County Council's main switchboard on (0)300 1261000.
The information contained in this e-mail and in your reply may be subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or other legislation and its confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.
This e-mail has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.
Northamptonshire County Council.  http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk