DIS-FORUM May 2012

Re: Software- course specific

Peter Hill <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 May 2012 22:31:04 +0100

Hi

I am broadly in agreement with Mike on this issue.

Points worth considering:

If Needs Assessors were free to recommend course-related software, costs
could rise significantly. As an assessor, I have occasionally encountered
music tech students who anticipated that DSA was going to fund what
amounted to a complete home studio. Students on computing courses could
request provision of different software packages for almost every module.
The point is that It is not the purpose of DSA funding to enable students
to study independent of the institution. Given the current financial
climate and potential pressures on the DSA system, a modicum of restraint
seems appropriate.

Nevertheless, there are occasions when it is indeed possible to justify
recommendations for course-specific software. Those occasions are likely
to be quite rare and, as Mike suggests, institutions should take some
responsibility where software licensing allows. They should also ensure
that on-campus facilities are sufficient to support the number of students
on course.

Regards

Peter Hill

Needs Assessor

> I've recommended it successfully a couple of times, with justifications
> drawing heaviliy on what was said about the student in the SpLD
> assessment.
>
> The problem is that the course software (on creative courses) is usually
> too expensive for the student to afford. But if the student doesn't get
> the course software to go with their mac, they can end up with a £900
> macbook which is only used to do word processing.
>
> As for who ought to pay for it - the institution or DSA - I suppose if the
> institution has got a software licence to enable all students on a
> particular course to use a particular piece of software, you could argue
> that extending the licence to cover students who are unable to use the
> designated Uni machines should be an institutional responsibility. Bit of
> a grey area probably..
>

> Best Wishes
>
> Mike Parry
> DSA Assessor
>

> Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 17:05:43 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Software- course specific
> To: [log in to unmask]

> Any recommendation for support should be backed up by
> independent evidence.  You mention the back problem and for that the
> Assessor would need to see medical evidence confirming about nature of the
> condition.  Same should apply in regard to course software, there should
> be evidence to back up the students assertion that, in this case,  it
> takes her longer to learn a process due to her dyslexia.   That said,
> as far as Iím aware the BIS guidance on this is that DSA should not be
> used to provide students with additional course specific support, that is
> the
> responsibility of the institution.
>

> Bryan
> Jones