Help for BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP Archives

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP Archives

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP Archives

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP Home

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP Home

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP  May 2012

BSA-BOURDIEU-STUDY-GROUP May 2012

Professor Michael Burawoy to be our key note speaker

Jenny Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>

Jenny Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 May 2012 17:05:51 +0100

Dear All,

We have just received very exciting news that Professor Michael Burawoy (http://burawoy.berkeley.edu/) of the University of California, Berkeley,  former President of the American Sociological Association and current President of the International Sociological Association has agreed to be our key note speaker at our first official conference/workshop this June.

The event, Bourdieu and Public Sociology, aims to draw together Bourdieuian scholars for a debate around issues relating to public engagement and Bourdieu’s legacy and will include a screening of the documentary film about Bourdieu, Sociology is a Martial Art.

As this event has been arranged around Professor Burawoy’s availability in the UK it will be held on Friday 8th June 2012 in London. We apologise for the short notice, but I’m sure you agree this is a brilliant opportunity for our study group. We will be in contact with more details soon.

Please note the places are strictly limited because of room capacity at the BSA meeting room in London. However, people on this email list will be given priority on places. There will be a charge to attend and prices will be based on the fact that we have not charged a study group membership fee this year and need to cover our expenses. BSA members will be given a discount. Refreshment and lunch will be provided and they is a opportunity to join us and Michael Burawoy for dinner that evening at an additional cost.

Best wishes, Jenny