Re: Stoat?

fiona beglane <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Apr 2012 08:03:11 -0700

Sorry folks - typo:
Mystery pelvis is GL=38.7mm and LAR=5.5mm (NOT 4.2).  (my reference sample stoat is a male, 302g with measurements of 33.5mm and
4.2mm).

Alan - I know what you mean - I scaled the drawings in Lawrence and Brown and came out at ~35mm for stoat and ~43mm for polecat and ferret so I am in between.

Thanks
Fiona

>________________________________

pelvis in Lawrence & Brown 1973; polecat looks to be 45
mm+.

>Just a thought.
>
>Cheers
>
>Alan
>
>Alan Pipe
>Zoologist
>Museum of London Archaeology
>Mortimer Wheeler House
>46 Eagle Wharf Road
>London N1 7ED
>Tel: 020 7566 9332
>Email: [log in to unmask]
>www.mola.org.uk
>

>Interested in our
news and archaeological discoveries as they happen?  Please visit us
on  www.facebook.com/MOLArchaeology
and follow us on  Twitter twitter.com/@MOLArchaeology

>MOLA is a company
limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales, company registration
number 07751831, charity registration number 1143574.

>Registered office:
Mortimer Wheeler House, 46 Eagle Wharf Road, London N1 7ED. MOLA is
registered as an organisation
>with the Institute for Archaeologists.
>
>PBefore printing,
please think about the
environment

>________________________________
archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of fiona
beglane
>Sent: 04 April 2012 15:42
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: [ZOOARCH] Stoat?
>

>Folks
have a pelvis GL=38.7mm and LAR=4.2mm.  This looks too large to be stoat
(my reference sample is a male, 302g with measurements of 33.5mm and
4.2mm).  I don't have polecat or ferret in my collection as they are not
archaeologically present in Ireland.  Does anyone have any comparable
measurements they could share or any thoughts on the subject?