Re: RES: belatedly new

Saul Albert <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:17:46 +0100

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:46:13PM +0100, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Whilst agreeing with the general thrust of the Furtherfield article, I
> concur with Armin that "New Media" was a much broader and widely
> supported concept,

Couldn't we maximise our pretentiousness by saying that New Aesthetics
is to The Internet of Things as net.art was to New Media?

Remember net.art? What was so fun about it was the slippage between
net.art as a relatively defined group of people (during the 'Heroic period')
and Net.Art as a self-perpetuating half joke that, like Cyberfeminism before
it, got funnier when people took it seriously, got incensed or excited about it,
and weirdly began to call their stuff net.art and themselves net.artists.

Reading this thread I can't help but think of the Wired article about
Heath Bunting that 'outed' net.art in 1997, and the response, kicked off
by this missive supposedly from Tim Druckery
(http://www.irational.org/heath/c4d/wired.html) and the debates that
ensued, and feel kind of sorry for James Bridle who has poked his head
above the parapet by doing some really interesting projects and writing
about them engagingly, and seems to be catching all kinds of flak for
it. I guess Heath intentionally made a great target of himself - I'm not
sure James really meant to, and I don't think much of it is fair.

But whatever his intentions, however deep or historically /
philosophically / politically grounded / ungrounded they are - I think
the connections coalescing around this discussion are really promising,
especially Sarah's questions about being and object-hood. In that vein
I'd like to post a couple of links that could point to some useful
material for filling in the many gaps and glitches of New Aesthetics,
beyond the association with OOO that Bogost pretty much rejects,
(while also sticking the boot in to James Brindle).

- The Actor-Network-Theory Heidegger Group
 (http://anthem-group.net/bibliography/) have a great bibliography on
 Latour/Heidegger that could be useful, and intersects with SR/Harman.

- Abstract Sex by Luciana Parisi, which I think brought up a lot of the
 political and conceptual possibilities of non-anthropocentric views on
 technology long before the Speculative Realists got going properly.
 http://www.scribd.com/doc/22489821/Parisi-Luciana-Abstract-Sex-Philosophy-Bio-technology-and-the-Mutations-of-Desire

I think whatever makes people dust off their keyboards (and mine is
really dusty!) and send email to mailing lists is a good thing, and I'd
love to see what projects/thought, stories and events might be
jury-rigged and used to prop up New Aesthetics in a longer timeline.

Cheers,

Saul.

--
mob: +44(0)7941255210 / @saul
sip: +44(0)2071007915 / skype:saulalbert