MCG April 2012

Dragon Software

Sharon Paton <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:57:43 +0100

Hi Mike

Your mail was passed to me by Sharon Paton, Sector Account Manager at MGS.

For nearly 3 years I've been engaged on a succession planning project generously funded by MGS and the Trustees of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).  Here's a link to our website that explains the background to the project:

http://www.slleisureandculture.co.uk/info/423/developmentcommunity_projects/665/succession_planning

Part of our project is knowledge harvesting the information in my head about the collections. Originally we went to the stores and having created a questionnaire, someone would write down my responses to the questions I was asked about each object. This would then entail much time back at the office transcribing the handwritten data into CMS entries.

With Dragon we record the question and answer sessions on a digital recorder at the stores. Back at the office I plug the recorder into the PC and the text appears. Much of it is gobbledegook. A work around is to play the data back on the recorder headphones then I speak the words over the microphone which permits much better voice recognition.

When you get a PC refreshed it's essential to copy all the files that Dragon has created to recognise each person's voice otherwise it has to learn all over again many months of refining it to recognise your individual voice. I'm happy to speak to anyone who would like to discuss the merits or otherwise of Dragon.

Terry Mackenzie - [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Sharon Paton, Sector Account Manager - Collections (Tue, Wed)

T: 0131 550 4126

Museums Galleries Scotland, Waverley Gate, 2-4 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3EG

T: 0131 550 4100  F: 0131 550 4139

E: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> W: www.museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk<http://www.museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk/> B: mgsblogs.wordpress.com<http://mgsblogs.wordpress.com/>

Museums Galleries Scotland is a company limited by guarantee No 74264, recognised as a charity No SC015593.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg