Help for LIS-PUB-LIBS Archives

LIS-PUB-LIBS Archives

LIS-PUB-LIBS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-PUB-LIBS Home

LIS-PUB-LIBS  April 2012

LIS-PUB-LIBS April 2012

Re: Library management systems -the market is moving

"Usher, John" <[log in to unmask]>

Usher, John

Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:23:39 +0100

Surely it's not just Corporate IT who are influencing/making these
decisions?

Frequently these days the 'selection' of an LMS and other related issues
(EDI, record supply) is dictated by the management (at varous levels)
choice to be a member of an LMS consortia, which will dictate the LMS
(and possibly other solutions such as RFID,  PC bookings) - it just runs
across the network of each authority.

Consideration of the technical merits of individual LMSs and RFID
systems (and proprietary vs Open Systems) may be secondary in that
equation - the solutions will be deemed 'good enough' given the overall
operations and (perceived) cost-benefits to the participating
authorities (e.g. reduced staffing and skill sharing across boundaries),

And isn't that being driven, at least in part, by library managers?

Conversely, if a parent authority chooses to buy into an IT Facilites
Management company then the choice of LMS will tend, over time at least,
to be from that supplier. cf. Capita buying parts of Talis to give it an
LMS as part of it's portfolio?

A few years ago we had PFI which seemed to dictate what LMS - and RFID -
solutions were mandated in some authorities.

And now I hear suggestions that corporate Kiosk procurement may (will?)
in future, dictate what suppliers libraries we use for kiosk supply.

And isn't the LMS itself, at this very time, being broken up as part of
this? I can currently see ten (10) forms of intgeration with our LMS
database excluding the main application - from Web OPAC and EDI ordering
from the same supplier to online connections for self service and PC
bookings and various file extracts and exports (which, if they continue,
I expect to go online at some point). And we haven't really begun on
corporate integration (e.g.CRM).

Which tail is wagging which dog?

Regards

JU

John Usher
ICT Manager
Library and Heritage Services
Islington Council
Central Library
2 Fieldway Crescent
LONDON N5 1PF

Tel: 020 7527 6920
Mobile: 07825 098 223
Fax: 020 7527 6926
Alternative contact: Michelle Gannon - 020 7527 6907

www.islington.gov.uk

How to get to Central Library:
http://www.islington.gov.uk/Education/Libraries/Local/Central.asp