VAR-L  April 2012

VAR-L April 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: A question about a locution used by the "girlfriend" of Trayvon Martin

Paul Hopper <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Apr 2012 23:45:26 -0400

text/plain

Danielle and others,

That's very interesting. Years ago I knew an elderly woman, a second
generation Bohemian, who had known Czech as a child but lost it quite
early. She was fond of telling stories, and she used the English
expression 'go to work and' whenever she wanted to grab attention for an
event. Two examples I remember: "he went to work and put six spoonfuls of
sugar in the cup" and "five miles outside the town their car went to work
and ran out of gas.' She did this very often. It was very striking. A
relic of a Czech perfective verb, perhaps? In my article I discuss the
foregrounding function of these pseudo-coordinations in discourse.

'Turn around and' has the peculiarity that (in COBUILD) it collates 89%
with the verb 'say', and 96% with verba dicendi generally.

By the way, the restriction of 'try and' to uninflected forms is well
known, and is described in the Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech and Svartvik,
Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (Longman 1985), see pp. 507.
See also pp. 979 and 987-8 for "quasi-auxiliaries" and
pseudo-coordinations. They discuss the emotive uses of these forms also,
like 'went and did it', 'sit there and..."

Best,

Paul