FW: Attend Living in Squeezed Britain

"Macfarlane, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>

Macfarlane, Alison

Tue, 3 Apr 2012 16:15:22 +0100

From: Macfarlane, Alison
Sent: 03 April 2012 15:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Attend Living in Squeezed Britain

-----Original Message-----
From: Cumberland Lodge [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 April 2012 14:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Cumberland Lodge
Subject: Attend Living in Squeezed Britain

Living in Squeezed Britain: Attitudes to Wealth and Economic Inequality in the New Age of Austerity http://www.cumberlandlodge.ac.uk/squeezed_britain
13-15 June 2012
Cumberland Lodge, The Great Park, Windsor SL4 2HP

Concept
Even in the most optimistic economic projections, the UK will remain squeezed for at least ten years. At the same time, the large growth in income inequalities experienced since the 1970s has not been reversed. Attitudes to wealth and income inequalities are cast in a new light in this era of austerity. Consumer behaviours and attitudes to money which were fostered by the boom of the Eighties and Nineties are obsolete – and, worse, they will create growing resentment if unchecked. If, as seems increasingly likely, there is no magic bullet to solve the current economic crisis, then we must focus on how to cope with life in squeezed and unequal Britain. Our current social attitudes to wealth, disposable income, savings, owning property, the state, pensions, and even what we expect to inherit from our parents is going to have to change. If these changes happen unthinkingly, social tensions will rise. This is not just about the richest 1% – it is about how children will grow up resenting the fact that they cannot hope to have a life as ‘good’ as their parents. If we don’t change our ideas about the connection between wealth, income and happiness, then riots and social unrest will continue. But ideas about wealth, earnings, consumption and happiness have undergone this kind of seismic shift before: the conspicuous consumption of the 1920s gave way to a culture of disgust with decadence in the 1930s. We can learn to live in Squeezed Britain - indeed, we have to - and this conference offers the opportunity to find out how.

Speakers confirmed to date include:
John Bird, Co-founder, The Big Issue
Naomi Eisenstadt, Department of Education, University of Oxford Sir John Gieve, Chairman of VocaLink Professor John Hills, LSE Professor John Holmwood, University of Nottingham Paul Johnson, Director, IFS

Register Online
http://www.cumberlandlodge.ac.uk/squeezed_britain
Conference rates are inclusive of registration, accommodation in historic surroundings, and exceptional food:
Standard Rate £190; Student Rate (shared accommodation) £85; Non-residential rate: £90

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.