Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  April 2012

BRITARCH April 2012

Re: Did anyone else catch this weird story last year?

Michael Haseler <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:48:47 +0100

Vince,

thanks for that.

Obviously the "underground motorways" is about as non-sciencical as
alien landing places or "our ancestors were troglodytes (is that the term?)

However, they were clearly dug for a purpose. The reasons that spring to
mind are:
a) Searching for resources ... flints, pigments, salts, abrasives, ores.
I put abrasives, really to suggest that there may have been something
that to us looked like "dirt", which was very important to them in e.g.
leather processing, or axe grinding/polishing.

b) Storage of foods ... the ground is cooler and it is easier to keep
out vermin from a space with only one small entrance

c) Protection of resources ... the underground vault. Personally, I
think most chambered tombs should be considered as vaults.

d) Travel ... unless this is an escape route ... I can't see the point.

e) Winter warmth ... in the worst winter weather, the caves could be
very cosy!

f) Fun ... the crops are all in, there's no room for anything else in
your house as (like my car load of flint) ... it looks close to
collapsing .... it's raining Wild-cats and wolves outside ... what
entertaining can you find for the kids ... dig a hole!!!

g) Drum lessons ... with a teenage son learning drums, I've just
realised how useful such a hole would be ... either for him ... or for me!

h) To look for water

i) As some kind of initiation ceremony. "YOU WANT TO BE CONSIDERED A MAN
... WHEN YOU CAN DIG A HOLE DEEP ENOUGH FOR US ALL TO FIT IN ... THEN
YOU WILL BE A MAN" (That should keep him quiet till the spring!!!) ... a
month later, to the surprise of everyone else who thought he was just a
lazy teenager, Turg emerges to say that the tunnel is now big enough and
he should now be a man of the tribe.

Mike