Status of the new PD5454:2012

Alan Akeroyd <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:52:18 +0100

Dear all

Earlier this year BS5454:2000, a full British Standard, was withdrawn and replaced by PD5454:2012 (Guide for the storage and exhibition of archival materials).

I asked the British Standards Institute for clarity concerning the authority of a PD, and the BSI's Knowldege Centre have emailed me today to confirm that PD5454:2012 is not a British Standard: "PD documents (Published Documents) do not have British Standard status as they have not been through the same development process - a Draft for Public Comments is released for Standards but not Published Documents, for example.  It can be cited as a BSI publication, but not as a British Standard."

So it seems to me that we have lost a British Standard, and replaced it with something of less authority. Am I wrong here? I hope so, because when I go into meetings with our Property people I would like to be able to support my case with a full British Standard. If anyone can comment on the PD's authority please that would be very helpful.

Thank you

Alan Akeroyd
Acting Archives and Local Studies Manager
Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies
www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/archives