Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  March 2012

PHD-DESIGN March 2012

Re: New additions: Disruptive Innovation and Affective Computing - Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction

Mads Soegaard <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Mar 2012 10:28:06 +0100

Dear Peter and Francois,

First, thanks for your kind words - that means a lot to all of us !

> Let me know if you have a particular curation strategy, if you're looking
> for specific topics that would lend themselves to filling out the IxD
> repertoire.

Our curation strategy: We have an invitation-only approach where we
invite people who have contributed greatly to the area they write
about. We get advice on which authors to invite by our advisory board
and our network. If you'd like to nominate/suggest a person for a
chapter, we'd love to hear from you (or anyone else) !

The current big problem:
At the moment, the big bottleneck is editorial power. We need a few
more editors who can spare an evening or an afternoon every once in a
while (not necessarily often). You can get lots of credit (your
picture/bio/pub-list right beside the author's and the readership is
massive so you'll get great exposure of your own work). However, doing
a good and constructive copy-edit and suggestions for improvement of a
10,000 word draft takes time. And our authors expect real constructive
help, not criticism as in a review. If anyone out there is interested,
please reach out to me! We'd *love* to hear from you.

We could publish faster and better if we had a few more enthusiastic
editors but we've simply stopped inviting new authors because we can't
keep up. We want to give the authors a great editorial service.

> I'm a Rosenfeld author, and know the other Rosenfeld authors
> have work that would be readily repurposed for such a project. I am
> especially thinking that Andy Polaine's service design interaction or Nathan
> Shedroff's Design for Sustainability might be good additions.

That would be excellent! Could you hook me up with some of the
authors? However, I'm not sure about the copyright policy of Rosenfeld
media. It seems it's an all-rights-reserved stance, so that would
require every single word to be written from scratch and not just
repurposed.

Anyways...I've never met Louis Rosenfeld myself but I hear very good
things about him. And the Rosenfeld media books are more
practice/industry-oriented than our encyclopedia is. We want a better
academia/industry mix than we currently have but we're getting there.
For example, in the upcoming chapter on Usability Evaluation (written
by Gilbert Cockton who is from academia), we've managed to get 2 CEO's
to write lengthy commentaries. That makes a healthy balance.
Conversely, in an upcoming chapter on Card Sorting (by William Hudson,
founder of Syntagm Ltd) we have commentaries by people from academia.

> I agree with Francois that it looks like many of these are not typically
> considered strictly as "interaction design" and since they were included
> early it may tend to bias the impression.

Firstly, the name: The name of the encyclopedia is "Encyclopedia of
Human-Computer Interaction" although the domain name is
"Interaction-Design.org". Credit for the name of the encyclopedia goes
to Don Norman - it was his suggestion.

So you and Francois are right. Since we're not limited to "interaction
design" but instead use the umbrella term of HCI, there are so many
more subjects we want to cover. But it again comes down to editorial
power: We have a bottle neck as mentioned above.

> Mads - It appears that you're launching chapter updates as they are
> published, is that right? It's great to see the new publication format, and
> the ability to add commentary with the chapters.

Exactly - this is a never-ending project where we publish one chapter
at a time :-)

All the very best !

/mads