MCG March 2012

Re: Museum visitor statistics

Matthew Cock <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Mar 2012 10:58:08 -0000

Hi Mike, and everyone,

In the last 30 days, around 30% of our visits to the BM website included a view of one or more pages within the Visiting and What's on sections of the site. That doesn’t mean they were planning a visit, just that they looked at those pages as part of their website visit.

In a recent online survey (Jan-Feb 2012, 1,648 respondents)

In answer the question:
What was the main reason for your visit to the British Museum website? (Please select one only.)

Planning a visit to the Museum galleries 17.8%
Planning a visit / buying tickets for an exhibition 7.3%
Looking for / booking an event (lecture, workshop etc.) 2.8%
Planning a visit for my class / school 1.6%
Total: 29.5%
The rest of the options were non-physical visit related..

So, for us, around 30% - their website visit is related to a physical visit.

Best,
Matthew

From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Ellis
Sent: 07 March 2012 10:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Museum visitor statistics

I was thinking exactly the same - for stats heads like me it's interesting anyway - but the relationship between online and "real" visitors is so difficult to map with any meaning I suspect it doesn't tell us too much.

What'd probably be more meaningful would be to map stats to "visiting" pages and compare to "real". Or to have a sense of % online visits to these "obviously motivated by visit" pages. This always used to be ~70% of visits when I was at NMSI. How does this stack up with everyone now?

tt

Mike

Mike Ellis

We do nice web stuff: http://thirty8.co.uk (http://thirty8.co.uk/)