1. The Quebec Dying with Dignity Committee (Quebec report) was released today recommending the legalization of euthanasia and assisted suicide, under the term physician-assisted dying. The Quebec government is being urged by the report to implement the recommendations by June 2013.
EPC has responded to the Quebec report: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.ca/2012/03/euthanasia-prevention-coalition-epc.html
2. EPC<http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/> and Vivre dans la Dignité <http://www.vivredignite.com/> are attempting to co-intervene in the Leblanc case in Quebec, a case that seeks to legalize assisted suicide in Canada. Now that the (Quebec Report) is released we will be wondering how this will effect the Leblanc case. The cost to intervene in the Leblanc case will be more than $50,000. If we are allowed to call witnesses, cross-examine witnesses and introduce affidavits, our cost may soar to more than $100,000. EPC needs you support<http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/Donations.htm>.
3. Please contact the 16 x 9 Global News TV show that last Saturday aired a eugenic pro-euthanasia program promoting the acceptance of the euthanasia of people with disabilities. The show featured Robert Latimer, Annette Corriveau and "ethicist" Arthur Schaefer. Before contacting 16 x 9 you should read the two blog articles that I have written about the show. They are: Global TV airs eugenic euthanasia TV program<http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.ca/2012/03/global-television-airs-eugenic.html>, and Taking Mercy: The case for euthanizing children with disabilities<http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.ca/2012/03/taking-mercy-case-for-euthanizing.html>.
Contact 16 x 9 at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or phone 1-877-835-5169.
4. The Canadian government is planing to increase sentences for people convicted of elder abuse. This may be a good first step but is this enough? Link to article.<http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.ca/2012/03/elder-abuse-problem-that-every-canadian.html>
5. On March 9, EPC applied for intervener standing at the Supreme Court of Canada in the Rasouli case, a case that seeks to give doctors the right to withdraw life-sustaining medical treatment without the consent of the person or the power of attorney. EPC successfully intervened in the Rasouli case at the Ontario Court of Appeal<http://www.alexschadenberg.blogspot.ca/2011/06/court-of-appeal-rules-on-landmark-end.html> who unanimously decided that doctors are obligated to obtain consent before withdrawing life-sustaining treatment. The case will be heard in November 2012.
6. We are expecting a decision in the Carter case in Vancouver BC in the next week. The Carter case is attempting to legalize euthanasia and assisted suicide in Canada through the court. EPC and EPC - BC intervened in the Carter case<http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2011/10/euthanasia-prevention-coalition-granted.html>. We are asking our supporters to write hand-written letters to the Attorney General of Canada (AG) asking him, if the Judge decides to legislate from the bench in the Carter case, to immediately appeal the decision. Link to the strategy<http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2012/01/assisted-suicide-case-in-british.html>.
7. We have raised about $38,000 of the $54,000 legal cost for intervening in the Carter case and the Leblanc case. Please donate towards the cost of intervening<http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/Donations.htm> in the Carter case and the Leblanc case.
8. EPC is distributing the report of the Parliamentary Committee on Palliative and Compassionate Care<http://pcpcc-cpspsc.com/report> and the book Keep Breathing<http://loveundefiled.blogspot.com/2011/10/book-review-keep-breathing-by-adam.html>. If you want to receive one of these items, at no cost please indicate which one you wish to receive with your donation.
8. EPC is selling the DVD set of the Third International Symposium on Euthanasia and <http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2011/06/third-international-symposium-on.html> Assisted Suicide<http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2011/06/third-international-symposium-on.html> for $50 for one complete set or $80 for two sets. You must indicate that you are purchasing the Symposium DVD's when you send money.
9. The First-European Symposium on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide will be September 7 - 8, 2012 in Edinburgh Scotland.
10. Please donate to EPC or become a member for $25. Link to donate or become a member<http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/Donations.htm>. You can help EPC pay for the Carter and Leblanc court interventions without any cost to you by contacting Real Estate for Life<http://www.realestateforlife.org/EPCC/> when you want to sell your home. The service is free and EPC will receive a small percentage from the sale of your home.
* Follow my blog updates at: www.alexschadenberg.blogspot.com<http://www.alexschadenberg.blogspot.com>
If you do not wish to receive emails from EPC please ask to unsubscribe. We will be disappointed but willing to do so.
Thank you for your support
________________End of message________________
This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies).
Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask]
Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page.