The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  March 2012

DISABILITY-RESEARCH March 2012

Re: Comparison of Social model of Disability v's human rights model

Sheila Wildeman <[log in to unmask]>

Sheila Wildeman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:09:51 -0300

Hi,

Not sure if this responds to the sort of analysis sought, but as a
kind of overview, what about Jerome Bickenbach's essay in Albrecht et
al's classic Handbook of Disability Studies (sage 2001): "Disability,
Human Rights Law, and Policy"? I would throw it into the mix as a
clear analytical exposition of the human rights model, addressing
different approaches to human rights within disability studies (e.g.
"universalist" versus "identity-based" approaches) while taking up the
social model as having "a vital role in making the human rights model
plausible".  I also like Gareth Williams's broad background piece on
"Theorizing Disability" in that volume.

The book (or parts thereof) is available electronically:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=vAKSZPR-hk0C&pg=PA565&lpg=PA565&dq=Bickenbac
h+disability&source=bl&ots=8gefZuJVjr&sig=J2UrRa5nv9ssTJkzpCmCkX90M7c&hl=en&
ei=-36zSv64BsPhlAfOouTuDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5#v=onepage&q
=Bickenbach%20disability&f=false

If the inquiry is instead directed instead at bringing to the surface
disjunctions, rather than conjunctions, between the social model and
human rights model, I would be interested in hearing more about that
line of analysis.

Best,
Sheila Wildeman
Assistant Professor