Re: WU-GEN

"PHILLIPS M.E." <[log in to unmask]>

PHILLIPS M.E.

Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:17:26 -0000

> > I don't know why it didn't put in the URL/location that you gave in
point 3,
> > and that might be a problem with WuGen.
>
> WAYFless URLs based on DiscoveryResponse don't have that ability, it's
not
> part of the DS protocol.

Ah - that's interesting.  While librarians may want to just link to the
service provider home page, as it were, we are really interested in
WAYFless URLs when they give us the ability to deep link.  For example,
to a journal home page within a package of journals, or to a specific
database within a database aggregator's platform.  This is where EZProxy
has the edge at present.  It continues to surprise us how popular things
like A-Z lists of e-journals and databases are: many of our users rely
on them, and we must have the ability to deep-link from off campus for
these lists to be effective.

So while a DiscoveryResponse type URL may be quite good in the
brittleness stakes, if it doesn't actually deep-link I think it ought to
score a lot less than nine!

> WAYFless URLs based on RequestInitiator would have that ability, and
I've
> suggested to Phil that they consider adding the ability to generate
those to
> WUGen.

That sounds more promising.

> > That means that they've changed the SP config since they registered
the
> > metadata in the federation, and not told us. I suppose I should
contact them
> > and get them to update it <grumble>.

Mmm.  Not good!

Matthew

--
Matthew Phillips
Electronic Systems Librarian, Durham University