Re: Fortran Poll

Bill Long <[log in to unmask]>

Fortran 90 List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:02:53 -0500

On 3/26/12 4:31 PM, Fernando G. Tinetti wrote:
> (crossposted: comp.lang.fortran, comp-fortran-90)
>
> We are working since some time ago on Fortran Legacy software and we would like to characterize some important issues from researchers, Fortran software developers, Fortran standard meeting group members, etc. We are planning to start collecting data from an online poll starting by April 4th, Wednesday (via an URL we will announce). We already have some questions to include in the poll and we would like to know if you would suggest to change some of them and/or add some others.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Fernando G. Tinetti
> Mariano Méndez
>

> 5) You have developed programs in Fortran for:
>      Weather and climate modelling and forecasting
>      Astrophysics
>      Web applications
>      Condensed matter and material designing
>      Signal processing
>      Computational mechanics
>      Molecular dynamics
>      CAD/CAM
>      CFD
>      FEM
>      Surface Profile
>      3D Ground-water flow model
>      Hydrology&  Water Quality Water Bodies
>      Dynamic Pipe Flow Distribution
>      Ground Motions from Earthquakes
>      Analog electronic circuit simulator
>      Subsurface/reservoir flow
>      Wave propagation
>      Earth Simulator's multiphysics code
>      Shock wave, solid mechanics models
>      Quantum chemistry
>      Linear algebra
>      Computer performance evaluation
>      AI
>      Games
>      GUIs
>      Petroleum exploration/production
>      Crystallography
>      Databases/administrative systems
>      Business Administration
>      Text processing
>      Other

Computational biology / genomics

> 7)You program using Fortran because
>      Fortan is the best language
>      Fortran is the only language you know
>      Fortran is the language used in your lab/corporation
>      You need specific Fortran libraries (e.g. BLAS, NAG Fortran Library)
>      You work on/with a legacy Fortran code

This might be seen as a bias that existing codes are "legacy".  How
about a more neutral option instead like

    > You work on/with an existing Fortran code

You also omit one of the strongest reasons for using Fortran

   > High execution performance

>      other
>

> 9)Which kind of developing practices do you use? (one or more options)
>      Version Control System Coftware (CVS,svn,Git,Others)
>      Agile Methodologies (XP, SCRUM,Other)
>      Testing
>      Peer Programming
>      Test Driven Development
>      Model Driven Development
>      Bug Trackig
>      Software Development Methodology (Spiral,Waterfall,RUP, Prototyping)
>      Object Oriented Programming
>      Strucutred Programming
>      Parallel programming (OpenMp,Mpi ,Cuda,Other)

Should include Fortran 2008 an one of the parallel programming options
above.

>      Other
>

> 15)Compiler/s you use:
>      Absoft
>      Cray
>      gfortran
>      IBM xlf
>      ifort
>      Lahey
>      NAGware f95
>      Open64
>      PGI Portland
>      Other

I suspect the Pathscale compiler gang will be offended that they are not
in the list.

Cheers,
Bill

--
Bill Long                                           [log in to unmask]