BRITARCH March 2012

EAA 2012 Call for Papers reminder

Donald Henson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Mar 2012 10:16:31 +0000

A gentle reminder that the Call for Papers is now out for the European
Association of Archaeologists conference in Helsinki in
August/September this year. I will be organising a session with Thomas
Kador from Ireland on using social media technologies to engage people
in archaeology.

Here is the abstract (see the call for papers after it below)

Social media and hand-held devices are powerful and readily available
technologies that have the potential to engage archaeology with new and
wider audiences. The pace of technological change can be frightening,
but also offers new opportunities. As yet, the use of social media is
not very well understood at a deep level. Who uses social media? Can it
really empower people and can it be used to undermine traditional
authority structures? How representative of the wider population, or of
archaeologists, are those who do use social media? Does the
ephemerality of social media mean we are in danger of losing our own
archive for the future history of our discipline? Can digital
technologies allow us to overcome language barriers? Some
archaeologists and museums are beginning to explore the potential of
digital technologies to engage new audiences. But how well do we know
if they are successful? Are we reaching the same, traditional audiences
but in new ways?

Engaging people with archaeology has traditionally between done through
museum exhibitions and displays, books and public journals, newspapers,
radio and television news, factual documentary television and public
events or lectures. Social media offers new ways of engaging people
with archaeology. These include online excavation blogs, email
discussion lists, facebook pages, twitter accounts, skype
communications, interactive websites, online magazines, online events,
contributory photographic archives, hand held device software for
on-site interpretation and many more media.

This session aims to highlight examples of current practice in using
social media and digital technologies. We hope to discuss the
possibilities of creating and engaging with new audiences, and the
issues arising from this. We are especially interested in whether the
digital age is really allowing cross border perspectives or only
perpetuating existing national archaeological communities. We also hope
to explore issues of audience creation, maintenance or undermining of
authority, credibility of authorship, multi-vocality and whether the
use of new technologies is changing how we conceptualise the past and
our relationship to archaeological remains.

Best wishes,
Don Henson

Hon. Director CASPAR
Centre for Audio-Visual Study and Practice in Archaeology
Institute of Archaeology
University College London

Call for Papers: 18th EAA Annual Meeting 2012, Helsinki, Finland, 29
August-1 September

The Eighteenth Annual Meeting of the European Association of
Archaeologists will be held in Helsinki, Finland, from 29 August to 1
September, 2012 at the University of Helsinki. The meeting is
organised by the University of Helsinki, the National Board of
Antiquities, the Finnish Antiquarian Society and the Archaeological
Society of Finland.

The Scientific Committee is now inviting submission of abstracts for
individual papers. The main themes of this year’s meeting are:
Archaeological Heritage Resource Management, Interpreting the
Archaeological Record, Maritime Archaeology and Perspectives on
Archaeology in the Modern World. The Annual Meeting is also proud to
host the Medieval Europe Research Congress. A list of the more than 75
  sessions organised on these themes can be found in the Annual
Meeting  website: http://www.eaa2012.fi/programme/session_list

Paper abstracts should not exceed 200 words and should include the
name(s), affiliation(s) and contact information for the author(s). The
paper abstracts may be submitted at:
http://www.eaa2012.fi/programme/abstract_submission

The paper abstract submission system requires an e-mail address as
well as a MS Word-file written using the template available on the
website. Abstracts must be submitted by 31 March, 2012.

Questions regarding abstract submission and the scientific programme
should be sent to the Secretary of the Scientific Committee,
Eeva-Maria Viitanen
(eeva-maria.viitanen(at)helsinki.fi).

Details concerning the Annual Meeting programme, registration and
accommodation are available on the conference website:
http://www.eaa2012.fi/index

For questions regarding other matters (e.g. exhibition, venues,
general information), please contact the EAA Helsinki 2012 meeting
Chief Coordinator Esa Mikkola (esa.mikkola(at)nba.fi).

Important dates:
Paper abstracts submission deadline 31 March, 2012
Deadline for early fee registration 1 June, 2012

--
Eeva-Maria Viitanen
Secretary of the Scientific Committee
EAA Annual Meeting 2012 Helsinki
tel. +358-9-19123782
e-mail [log in to unmask]
http://www.eaa2012.fi/index.html

--
Best wishes,
Don Henson

Public Archaeology and Heritage Interpretation Consultant

See my webpage at http://independent.academia.edu/DonaldHenson