Help for ARTDESLIB Archives

ARTDESLIB Archives

ARTDESLIB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARTDESLIB Home

ARTDESLIB  March 2012

ARTDESLIB March 2012

Preservation Assessment Survey, London May 22nd 2012

Julia Foster <[log in to unmask]>

Julia Foster <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:39:26 +0000

++ artdeslib ++

Apologies for cross posting

The Preservation Assessment Survey allows an institution to quickly gather information on the state of preservation of its library or archive collections. It provides the necessary evidence to support preservation planning and management.

Dear Colleagues,
I am making contact with people who may find the Preservation Assessment Survey useful to them in managing their library or archive collection.

The Preservation Assessment Survey has been widely used to provide evidence for funding applications, as a planning tool and to support collection management activities such as digitisation projects and collection moves. Do you have plans for similar activities? Or would you like to support existing preservation activities by providing statistical evidence of their value? The Preservation Assessment Survey can be successfully used for all these processes.

There will be a  workshop on the methodology on May 22nd 2012 at The British Library
(http://www.bl.uk/blpac/pasworkshop.html)

Preservation Advisory Centre is now able to offer a range of additional PAS support services; On-site identification of the survey sample and assistance with the surveying process Survey assistance by Preservation Advisory Centre staff

Please contact me if these charged services are of interest.

We have revised the publicity information about the survey; please contact me for a copy. There is also an update about surveys currently underway in Scotland and the objectives of the co-operative project between the Preservation Advisory Centre, The Scottish Council on Archives and the National Archives of Scotland on our website. Featuring the experiences of those who have recently carried out surveys and an insight into some of their fascinating finds as a result of the process, this article illustrates some of the non-statistical rewards of surveying  (http://www.bl.uk/blpac/pdf/edinburgh.pdf).

Please contact me if there is any information or advice I can give or if you would like to order a survey. I work part-time but am generally in the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and can be reached by email on Mondays and Thursdays.
Best wishes
Julia
Julia Foster
Preservation Advisory Centre
The British Library
0207 412 7612
Please note I work part-time but am generally in the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. In my absence please contact John Webster

The British Library Preservation Advisory Centre is the new name for
  the National Preservation Office.