THE CAMBRIDGE STATISTICS DISCUSSION GROUP
Thursday 15th March 2012 7:15 for 7:45
The Large Seminar Room, Institute of Public Health,
University Forvie Site, Robinson Way, Cambridge, CB2 0SR
Mathematics at the Perse school
The Perse School
* A brief introduction to the Perse school (structure, staff and pupils). An introduction to the Mathematics department at the Perse.
* Mathematics at the Perse school - organisation, staffing, setting, examinations, early entry IGCSE, mathematical challenges and Olympiads.
* Examinations boards and syllabuses - choosing a syllabus to suit the ability profile in the school. Topics in IGCSE and A level syllabuses. IGCSE as opposed to GCSE.
* Schemes of work in years 7 to 11 and for each A level module - a brief outline of the structure at the Perse.
* Using technology in mathematics teaching - software, internet sites and graphic calculators.
* Preparing pupils for Oxford and Cambridge (STEP examinations)
* Recruitment of (mathematics) teaching staff to the Perse - problems familiar to most schools in this region.
* Analysis of results - a year on year improvement?
* Managing the mathematics department at the Perse school - the future of maths at the Perse - national issues.
Speaker: I have taught mathematics at the Perse for over 21 years now - having joined the school as head of department (following the death of the previous incumbent) in 1990. Prior to teaching at the Perse, I have taught at Leeds Grammar school and William Hulme's Grammar school (in Manchester).
Directions: (From Central Cambridge) Turn right off Hills Road into the Addenbrooke's site then turn left at the hospital roundabout onto Robinson Way. Follow Robinson Way until you see an access road on the left signed 'Forvie Site' (but note that the sign is on your right). Turn into the access road and follow signs - first to the Institute and then to the Large Seminar Room. There is ample car parking. The front doors will be locked at 7:45. Arrivals after 7:45pm can gain admittance by contacting the secretary on 07761769436.
Provisional Next Meetings:
3rd April - Lawrence Sherman (Institute of Criminology).
21st May - Darrel Ince (Open University).
9th October - Bob Haining (Geography).
Supper: Some members eat regularly in the University Centre before each meeting at 5-45pm. Feel free to join them.
Subscriptions: of 1 pound are now due for attending the 2011-2012 session.
Secretary: Peter Watson, MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, 15 Chaucer Road, Cambridge CB2 7EF;
telephone 01223 355294 Extension 801; E-mail [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Take a look at our website: http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/peter.watson/csdg.html
You may leave the list at any time by sending the command
to [log in to unmask], leaving the subject line blank.