Help for ACCELERATOR-SCIENCE-SEMINARS Archives

ACCELERATOR-SCIENCE-SEMINARS Archives

ACCELERATOR-SCIENCE-SEMINARS Archives

ACCELERATOR-SCIENCE-SEMINARS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ACCELERATOR-SCIENCE-SEMINARS Home

ACCELERATOR-SCIENCE-SEMINARS Home

ACCELERATOR-SCIENCE-SEMINARS  March 2012

ACCELERATOR-SCIENCE-SEMINARS March 2012

Seminar of Prof V. Balakin (Wednesday 21st March 11:00am)

Riccardo Bartolini <[log in to unmask]>

Accelerator science seminars <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:19:26 +0000

There will be a Joint seminar of the Gray Institute for Radiation Oncology and Biology
and of the John Adams Institute for Accelerator Science:

71a&b Seminar room, Gray Institute for Radiation Oncology and Biology [Ground Floor, Old Road Campus Research Building, near Churchill Hospital].

Prof V. Balakin, Wednesday 21st March 11:00am
"New techniques and technology for cancer treatment with a proton beam"

Abstract:
It is known for several decades that the use of proton beams has significant advantages over gamma-radiation from electron accelerators. However, currently there are a few thousand electron accelerators in use, and only two or three tens of proton accelerators.
The aim of our many-years-long work is an attempt to correct this inconsistency - to develop and promote the proton beams as the main tool instead of electron beams. To make this happen, the cost of the techniques and technology of radiation therapy with a proton beam has to be reduced many tens of times. We were able to achieve this, and today the first samples of our equipment are under preparation for certification in the U.S., Europe and Russia.
The seminar will be dedicated to presentation of the results of this work.

For more details see
http://www.adams-institute.ac.uk/lectures/?scheme=3&id=71