PHD-DESIGN February 2012

Re: Seeking Authorship Policies

Luke Feast <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Feb 2012 21:58:50 +1100

Dear Lois,

Over here, The Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research
guides institutions and researchers in all disciplines in responsible
research practices including authorship. Researchers within design
have the same responsibilities and rights as researchers in other
disciplines.

The guideline is available here
http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/publications/r39

Section 5 concerns authorship, the passage relevant to your questions
could be the following:

-snip-

Attribution of authorship depends to some extent on the discipline,
but in all cases,
authorship must be based on substantial contributions in a combination of:
* conception and design of the project
* analysis and interpretation of research data
* drafting significant parts of the work or critically revising it so
as to contribute to the
interpretation.

The right to authorship is not tied to position or profession and does
not depend on whether
the contribution was paid for or voluntary. It is not enough to have
provided materials or
routine technical support, or to have made the measurements on which
the publication is
based. Substantial intellectual involvement is required.

-endsnip-

Regards

Luke Feast
PhD Candidate