Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  February 2012

PHD-DESIGN February 2012

Re: reboot RE: some more questions on research design

Johann van der Merwe <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:38:10 +0200

.. I asked my students "why is Nokia's earnings graph sliding downhill,
and Apple can do as it likes? What is it that you like about Apple? Why
would American and Chinese youth react in seemingly the same way?"
And the immediate answer was: "Apple tells us about our lifestyle ..."

Johann

Dr. Johann van der Merwe
HOD: Research, History & Theory of Design
Faculty of Informatics and Design
Cape Peninsula University of Technology
PO Box 652 Cape Town 8000
South Africa
Tel.: 27 21 460 3442
Fax: 27 21 460 3729
>>> Rosan Chow <[log in to unmask]> 02/14/12 12:41 PM >>>
Dear Derek,

The party has died down a bit and before the next one starts again,  I
thought perhaps I could get back to our online colloquium....hope you
are still interested.

I have found two good sources. One scientific study by Kristensen and
Gabrielsen on the relation between product design, logo design, web
design and value creation. The first two types of design are positively
correlated to value creation. So this study gives the basis to choose
question B) to what extent is the design of iPhone (I narrow this down
and don't want to worry about iPod) a factor for Apple market success
between 2007 to 2011.

The other  source is a Masters thesis by Holmberg et al. case studying
the important factors for Apple to survive as a niche player in a
network economy. In this thesis, the authors focus on technology and
design, industrial relation and market strategy.

In Holmberg's thesis there is a short story of Apple, from 1975 to 2004
and I learn that PowerMac G4 Cube was NOT a market success although it
was also an innovative design. So I am thinking, instead of doing a
multi-factor analysis on the success of iPhone, I can do a comparative
case study between PowerMac G4 and iPhone.

What do you think?
Thanks,
Rosan