Help for MINING-HISTORY Archives

MINING-HISTORY Archives

mining-history@jiscmail.ac.uk

MINING-HISTORY Home

MINING-HISTORY  February 2012

MINING-HISTORY February 2012

Re: Obscure Tamar Valley mines - Found word(s) farm in the Text body

Robert Waterhouse <[log in to unmask]>

The mining-history list.

Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:45:39 -0000

Dear Sharron,

Yes, the local wheeler-dealers - in the old and new senses of the term!

They were major shareholders in, and in effect ran, the Tavistock Canal from
its inception to its closure.  Their relationship with the Bedford Estate
was at times stormy, which has generated a lot of very interesting and
useful correspondence!

What do you know about them?  I know a fair amount about them but they don't
seem to have left any portraits for instance, other than John Hornbrook Gill
in Tavistock Town Hall.

Robert