MCG February 2012

Pinterest and copyright

Tim Trent <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:06:17 +0000

I've been looking with some consternation at Pinterest, a site that allows folk to wander at will over the web, "pinning" pictures to their accounts. It's hailed as some sort of social media wonder toy. The picture is grabbed, published on Pinterest, and yes, a back-link to your site is created, a sort of quid pro quo for unpermissioned grabbing of your copyright picture. And yes, t takes the picture and lodges it on Pinterest. http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/upload/152207662376192781_Tt59L5pq_f.jpg is a picture of ours I experimented with myself. Note the url.

That made me consider Copyright. In a nutshell, Pintertest relies on users not to break your copyright and relies on your noticing in order to issue take down notices.

Today my attention was drawn to this: http://youtu.be/g3bmdE2BrmM (apologies if youtube is blocked in your office, your IT folk really need to get a grip. It talks about code snippets we can add to sites where we disallow pinning.

What are your thoughts on Pinterest, copyright, and your site?

Tim Trent - Consultant
Tel: +44 (0)7710 126618
web: ComplianceAndPrivacy.com - where busy executives go to find the news first

Important: This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. This email and any attachment(s) are believed to be virus-free, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to make all the necessary virus checks. This email and any attachments to it are copyright of Meadowood Associates, owners of Compliance And Privacy, unless otherwise stated. Their copying, transmission, reproduction in whole or in part may only be undertaken with the express permission, in writing, of Meadowood Associates, at 16 Coombe Road, Dartmouth, Devon, United Kingdom TQ6 9PQ

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg