FW: old maps and GIS

"Da Cruz, Tinho" <[log in to unmask]>

A forum for issues related to map & spatial data librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:28:55 +0000

From the archivist's e-mail list.
Please reply to Pamela Birch [[log in to unmask]].

-----Original Message-----
From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pamela Birch
Sent: 13 February 2012 17:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: old maps and GIS

Hello,

We are looking into digitising our 1925 rating valuation maps, which are
annotated 25" OS maps stuck at one end to a slat of wood and then wound
around the wood. We want to do this because the originals are
deteriorating rapidly and need to be removed from use and a surrogate
provided in their place. Getting the maps digitised is not a problem
(other than how to pay for it) but how to provide a quick and easy to
use solution to viewing the digital files is. The company who have
quoted for the work so far can provide two different solutions with very
different price tags attached but our IT department is suggesting we use
the GIS system the council already has.

Has anyone any experience of making digital maps available quickly and
easily that they could share with me? A rough idea of set up cost would
be useful but the main thing is the delivery mechanism needs to be so
quick and easy that the searchroom staff don't even think about ordering
the originals from the stacks. Has anyone plotted old 25" OS maps onto
modern GIS system and does this have other advantages/disadvantages that
we may not have thought of?

Thanks

Pamela Birch
Conservator/Premises & Projects Officer
Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service
Tel; 01234 228908