DC-RDA  February 2012

DC-RDA February 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: The meaning of Subject (and Coverage)

Joseph Tennis <[log in to unmask]>

List for discussion on application profiles and mappings <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:52:47 +0000

text/plain

Sorry if I've missed something in this thread, but I believe dc:coverage is at least in part a contribution from the archives and records management fields to DCMES.  That is, a treaty or contract of sale or any other record could "cover" something (e.g., Vancouver, BC from now 'til 2020) and not be "about" the same thing (e.g., exchange of land rights from the crown to an indigenous nation).  If this holds, and if RDA intends on being useful to both librarianship and archivy then it has to contend with different domain models such as this.  I know it's my old axe at this point, but purpose guides design and implementation, and the purposes discussed below are very library-y ;-) -- not very archivy-y.

I remember being in Singapore saying that we should to a UB AP to make the semantics of these two clearer without changing their DCTERMS domains and ranges, but that work item was never completed in the UB.

Happy Monday, all!

joe

Joseph T. Tennis
Assistant Professor