MOODLE-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MOODLE-UK Home

MOODLE-UK  February 2012

MOODLE-UK February 2012

Re: Help! (subgroups in moodle)

Leonard Houx <[log in to unmask]>

UK Moodle Users JISCMail list <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:49:29 +0000

Hi Mary

What I mean about "version control" is this: normally, we run a number of the same units, but in different places (for example Chemistry101 in London and Chemistry101 in Birmingham, etc.) and we do a copy of the course for each. The problem with this is that every time you want to change something in the course, you need to do it in ten different courses (because we have ten copies of it).

This is where groups come in. With groups (and Moodle in "separate groups" mode). You can just have one course and run separate groups on it simultaneously.

So job done, right? No. The problem is that our teachers also normally create learning groups in their units. And there is no way to do both. That is, the London teachers can see both the London and the Birmingham students. Essentially, teachers can create groups, but they are not subgroups but overlapping groups. This leaves too much room for error.

(incidentally, I have looked at sharing files in Moodle, however, building courses this way is much more labour-intensive than simply 'restoring' new ones and, in the end, creates more work, not less).

I hope this gives you a picture of what I am trying to resolve.

Thanks,

Leonard