Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: DCAM: the analogy to SKOS

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

DCMI Architecture Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Feb 2012 12:04:58 -0800

text/plain

On 2/2/12 8:15 AM, Antoine Isaac wrote:

> As a matter of fact SKOS was firstly designed as a quick/cheap way to
> port KOS data on the Semantic Web. In an ideal world, all the resources
> in thesaurus or gazetteers, etc should be re-worked on and represented
> as "real" persons, places, events, etc, and not as "concept", "terms" or
> any other weird "knowledge artifacts". Many people in the Semantic Web
> community would like that SKOS would be used only for what is for them
> "true concepts" (freedom, justice, data modelling, etc)!

This is, of course, an ontological distinction, using 'ontology' in its
original philosophical sense of a study of reality. If the SW is going
to be an open world, it seems that it cannot define reality in only one
way. That means that it needs to be possible for something like
"California" to be both a geographic place and a topic, depending on how
the user has defined it.

I view SKOS as a light-weight markup for the international standard on
thesaurus construction. If you create something like:

California
   Broader term: USA
   Narrower term: San Francisco

then you are ontologically dealing in concepts, since "BT" and "NT" are
defined as broader and narrower "concepts" if you are following
thesaurus construction rules.

As with many SW "applications," SKOS defines some properties that are
generally useful, such as pref/alt/hidden labels. I think that things
get confused when these get used outside of the KOS application of SKOS
because I think it isn't clear to folks whether they are "doing KOS" or
not at that point. They have to think about exactly what "pref" means as
defined in SKOS and determine if it can be used for their need outside
of SKOS.

This is a conversation I have often had with Tom about context - context
may not matter a lot in data processing, but humans generally function
within conceptual contexts, whether they are aware of it or not. Many of
us are unable to become machine-like enough to divorce something like
"prefLabel" from its context. I have this problem with foaf:Person - is
it the same as FRBR:Person? Or MARC x00? It's definition says one thing,
but its context tells me otherwise.

I see DCAM as being a set of patterns that can be made out of basic RDF.
If RDF is the atom, DCAM is the element set (as in periodical table of
elements). The advantage I see with DCAM is that it is not within a
specific application context, and therefore can deal with general
structures that aren't going to be confused with their role in an
application.

kc

--
Karen Coyle