CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY  February 2012

CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY February 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY Digest - 4 Feb 2012 to 5 Feb 2012 (#2012-18)

Adrian Lord <[log in to unmask]>

Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Feb 2012 09:43:49 +0000

text/plain

John
You seem to have chosen to entirely miss my point.  Cycling Englands money was spent locally by the local authorities and subject to the same political  scrutiny and local accountability as any other spending.  Ctc and other local campaign groups were actively involved and supportive in most of the places I visited. But we were interested mainly in getting ordinary people to ride bikes, not in being 'accountable to cyclists' which is different.  Many of the consultants and board members attended Cycle Nation and other public forums, but cycling england was not a public facing or campaigning organisation precisely because ctc and others serve this purpose. I agree with richard mann that there should be no need for cycling england and it has largely served its intended purpose to demonstrate to government that putting money into cycling in a focussed way gets results even in small towns and cities outside london.
When we started working with CE in 2005 a DfT official said to us this really was the last chance for cycling as there had been no increase or results from previous funding for years, no political support and most authorities had targeted zero growth in LTP2.  The dominance of cycling projects in LSTF submissions and public support in The Times  suggests that this is no longer the case.

Adrian Lord
Associate
Arup
Tel: +44 (0)121 213 3650