Re: Burnt cattle mandibles

Martyn Allen <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:19:58 +0000

Dear Kevin

Bruce Levitan notes this practice to have been taking place at
Chichester Cattlemarket, West Sussex, during the 1st-2nd century AD.
Not only had the diastema of the mandibles been treated in this way,
but also at the premaxilla/maxillary 'joint', which had in many cases
been chopped/deliberately broken.

See page 244 in Levitan, B. 1989, 'The vertebrate remains from
Chichester Cattlemarket' in Down, A (ed), Chichester Excavations. VI.
Chichester: Phillimore. pp.242-76.

Best wishes,
Martyn Allen

--